There are things you can do while shopping to help prevent food poisoning.
- Put raw meat, poultry, eggs, fish, and shellfish in separate bags, and do not mix them with other food items.
- Do not buy meat or poultry that has a tear in the package or is leaking.
- Pick up your refrigerated and frozen items at the end of your shopping trip, so they are unrefrigerated for a shorter period of time.
- Drive directly home after finishing so you can store all foods properly. If you have a long drive, consider getting an ice chest for perishable foods.
- Do not buy canned foods if the cans are dented, leaking, bulging, or rusting.
Current as of: January 26, 2020
Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review: E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine